Not to be confused with the website 43folders, which is about making you more productive, 43 Things is a way to make half an hour disappear. But it's not lost time.
You make a new account, and type in a little list of things you want to do (i.e. go to China, learn to juggle). Then comes the Internet part. There are lots of other people who want to do the same things . . . or have already done them. Suddenly, all those people can brush against each other, around the common token of "I want to do X" or even "I wanted to do X, and I did it". And they can talk to each other. That's the idea, anyway.
Is a site like this -- high-minded, let's agree -- mostly a proving ground for features that will eventually be incorporated into MySpace? (I wonder the same about del.icio.us and flickr, and the others.) And when that happens, will said features be instantly perverted into a way of idolizing celebrities or reinscribing some petty high school pecking order? That is not my problem. By that point I will be "hik[ing] the appalachian trail" or "travel[ling] around the world".
May 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment