Have you noticed that on the Windows platform, there is a huge gap in functionality between Adobe Photoshop and, oh, I don't know, what's the next thing down the list . . . MSFT PAINT? And yet people somehow get a lot of light graphics work done. Maybe PowerPoint helps people shoot the gap, I'm not sure. For me, it's typically Photoshop or nothing, despite the fact that Photoshop is just way too much tool, most of the time.
Well, it turns out there IS a reasonable middle ground. One program I found there yesterday is called Paint.NET. It was created at the University of Washington, originally as a student project, but apparently Microsoft contributed some help as well.
Paint.NET site
It's free & open, but it doesn't have that dog-eared open-source look about it -- it's a nice program. It does layers, and has reasonably helpful help. I kinda like it. It's very much a paint program, not a drawing program -- once I draw a rectangle on the canvas, the rectangle becomes pixels, not a shape.
Which raises a question: is there a medium-feature-set, free alternative to Illustrator?
April 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment