May 13, 2009

Nagging video codec headache: SOLVED

Simple problem: have .wmv file. Want to convert it to a .mov so I can edit it with iMovie. I have access to Windows or Mac, but don't want to pay for any software.

Don't have QuickTime Pro (and can't quite confirm that it can actually do this job).

ffmpegx fails to convert -- complains about an incorrect framerate. I have used ffmpegx in the past to create (for example) .flv flash movies, which has been great . . . but it frequently chokes on .wmv files.

Windows Media Encoder will only generate .wmv, of course.

I found two solutions, both free:

http://media-convert.com/convert/ is a web site that takes a video upload and gives you back a converted video, in whatever format you like. The site looks somewhat sketchy, but the results were fine enough.

But the big winner for me is MPEG Streamclip, an obscure, friendly, free Mac OS X app. It's quick and simple and does the job. Finally.

Update: there's a wide variety of compression schemes, within the Quicktime exporter. The default -- Apple Motion JPEG A -- doesn't compress too well. H.264 compressed 30x more for the same quality level.

No comments:

Post a Comment